Monday, November 25, 2013

Mother choked to death on pill after staff ‘mix up’ at Harley Street clinic

A mother died after choking on cancer drugs following an apparent breakdown in communication between staff at a private hospital, an inquest heard.

Tata Beset Mesfin, 43, suffered a choking fit and brain damage when her airways were blocked for nine minutes on December 18 last year. She died the next day from organ failure.

An inquest at Poplar coroner’s court this week heard that a doctor told colleagues that Ms Mesfin, mother to Jemima, six, should not take
a third tablet after choking on the second and vomiting. But Ms Mesfin, who had relapsed after being in remission from breast cancer, thought she still had to take the drug.

Ms Mesfin was being treated at the Harley Street at University College Hospital clinic.

Her husband Workneh Hailegiorgis, 44, from Newham, is considering taking legal action. He said the clinic had failed his “precious” wife.

The coroner returned a verdict of accidental death.