Friday, September 5, 2014

Ethiopian-born brothers combine for all of Open Door’s goals

WELLINGTON — Open Door’s Dutton brothers, who were born in Ethiopia, evidently felt right at home on the pitch behind Wellington High School on Thursday.
Senior midfielder Solomon Dutton scored three goals and his senior-mid brother Miki Dutton scored twice as the Patriots came from behind to post a 5-4 victory over the Dukes. Solomon’s third goal came in the 79th — or next-to-last — minute of play.
This was a down-to-the-wire, non-conference thriller that saw three ties and three lead changes. Despite unobstructed sunshine and 80-plus-degree heat, it was an action-packed crowd-pleaser that could have gone either way. The officials halted play twice for water breaks.
Wellington (0-1-3) took the lead on a Jacob Storrow goal off a corner kick in the fifth minute. It didn’t last long. Solomon Dutton nailed his first score four minutes later when he netted a rocket from 25 yards.
The brothers teamed up for the Patriots’ go-ahead score, with Solomon assisting on Miki’s goal in the 15th minute. Solomon created Open Door’s 3-1 halftime lead when he fired a laser at the Wellington net in the 29th minute. Dukes keeper Max Mohrman got a hand on the shot, but it was too hot to handle.

Wellington came out firing to open the second half. Senior midfielder Ian Lara cut the Patriots lead to 3-2 with the first of his two goals in the 46th minute. And he tied the score 3-all with his second score 20 minutes later. Lara first got off a header that bounced off the Patriots’ left goalpost, but he controlled the rebound and kicked it home.
The Dukes led for the last time, 4-3, after sophomore midfielder Ian Gifford nailed a textbook header off Lara’s crossing pass in the 68th minute.
But again, the Dutton brothers went to work. Miki Dutton’s goal, on an assist by Solomon Dutton, tied it 4-all in the 75th minute. And, less than two minutes from the end, Solomon moved in alone off the right flank to score the winner. With it, Open Door improved to 2-1.
“Soccer is very passionate until the last minute, the last second and the last play,” Open Door substitute coach Jairo Prudencio said through an interpreter. “They took away one of our goals (the Patriots were whistled for a foul on what appeared to be a scoring play), but we got that back on the last goal.”
Solomon Dutton said he netted the eventual winner after he took a pass from another senior midfielder, Gabe Sigmon.
“Gabe crossed it to me, I cut in and made that shot,” Solomon said.
Miki Dutton said he and his brother worked a give-and-go to set up the goal that tied the match 4-all.
“The second goal, I gave (the ball) to him, ran through the middle and he gave it back to me,” said Miki.
Dukes coach A.J. Hyde said his Dukes showed heart with a strong start to the second half. But he said the team has to perform at that level for 80 minutes.
“The second half we came out with a lot of heart,” Hyde said. “We were here to win and gave up the last five minutes. They put a couple in, and that’s how the ball was rolling today.
“I thought we had them, but we gave up two goals in the last 10 minutes,” he said. “We have a small team, only 15 guys, and we had a guy injured in the first half and that put us down to 14. So we’re looking at limited subs and we just can’t get the rotation in like we want to.”