Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ethiopian Maids at war: One killed, other found alive with steel bar in her neck

Injured maid removes steel bar from the neck herself at the Rashid Hospital
By Eman Al Baik
Published Monday, December 10, 2012
Two Ethiopian maids fought each other at the sponsor’s house, one was killed while the other was found alive in a pool of blood with steel bar pierced through her neck.

FYO, 28-year-old Ethiopian maid, has been accused of premeditated murder of her co-worker and compatriot by stabbing her several times in different part of her body, the Dubai Criminal Court heard on Sunday.

The prosecution accused that FYO grabbed the victim, HSS, and stabbed in her face, neck and belly a number of times in the employer’s wardrobe room.

On hearing screams of the two women, other workers rushed to the room but but found its door locked from inside. The women, who're fighting and screaming, didn’t respond to their colleague’s calls to open the door.

Then one worker climbed a ladder and saw traces of blood in the room through the bathroom window. They immediately called the police; soon later the screams had also stopped.

MI, 48, Indian, cook, testified that he was in the kitchen preparing food with other workers.

“Anisa, a co-worker, came and told us about hearing screams from the wardrobe room in the yard. We rushed there and heard loud screams of the two women. The room’s door was locked from inside. I also heard gargling sound which lasted for about 10 minutes; then it all became quiet. I climbed a ladder and broke the glass of the bathroom window adjacent to the wardrobe room where I saw blood in the basin; so we called the police,” he testified.

Anisa, 35, Indonesian maid, testified that she was sleeping in the villa and woke up at hearing screams.

“I tried to open the door but it was locked from inside. I rushed to the kitchen and informed other workers who all rushed to the scene and asked the women who were screaming and quarrelling inside to open the door; but there was no response. Then MI broke the window of the bathroom and saw blood,” she testified.

Police found two women inside the room; one of them was found dead while the other was still alive with a steel bar in her neck.

Police found blood stains and traces all over the room and bathroom. There was a knife found next to the body of the dead woman. The seriously-injured accused removed the steel bar from the neck herself at the Rashid Hospital, according to the records.

Forensic reported that the dead woman sustained a number of injuries in her hands that were of defensive nature. She also sustained fatal injuries in her neck and belly that caused her death.

The accused confessed to killing the victim. Records did not mention the reason for the murder.

Criminal evidences reported that the blade of the knife carried the DNA of the victim while its handle carried the DNA of the accused.

The court will reconvene on December 23.