Wednesday, October 5, 2011

51 Years of Imbecility_Ethiopian Airlines


Muhammad Al-Ghazali
I wrote this piece inside the Ethiopian Airlines aircraft which conveyed us from Addis-Ababa to Abuja. As the clock ticked steadily towards Nigeria's 51st anniversary 'celebrations', I had been lost in thought on what had become of our dear nation in recent times; and, two hours into the estimated four and a half hours flight time, I finally summoned the courage to reach for my portable laptop - the eternal companion of most writers - to document some of my thoughts.
I felt that even the fact that I needed another African airline to transit to my country from abroad was a good starting point, and it wasn't just the cold-blooded efficiency of the airline that set my pulse racing with justifiable rage. My outrage derived from the shameful realization that this same Ethiopia, ravaged by poverty and unspared by nature, ranks only second to South Africa in the aviation sector in Africa.
The Ethiopians are punching well above their weight in an area Nigeria had failed very miserably. They have shown the world they could run an efficient airline to rival the very best in the world. The airport in Addis-Ababa which is now a major hub of some sorts easily put the Murtala Muhammad and Nnamdi Azikiwe Airports in Lagos to shame.
I may have issues with the airport's 'passenger friendliness' in terms of available public utilities, but never its flawless organization and efficiency. And by the way, none of the airline or airport staff I encountered during the two hours it took me to transit through the Addis-Ababa airport mortaged their self-esteem to beg me for money just for doing their jobs.
There was also no poverty in the quality of their work or the seriousness with which they dispensed their services to the endless stream of passengers.
Since I was only transiting through Addis-Ababa, it is only proper that I mentioned that I actually arrived from Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, a few hours earlier. I had seized the opportunity of my annual vacation to do a routine medical check-up, like any living mortal beyond the age of 40 should from time to time, at the Iranian Hospital in the Emirates.


Quite inevitably, my experience at the hospital brought another brutal reminder of the total collapse of the healthcare delivery system in Nigeria. Again, I was impressed by the brutal efficiency of the system in place at the hospital and the speed with which I was attended to. It did not help my temperament that I encountered several Nigerians at the hospital. We are among the lucky ones. We could afford it. Millions of our fellow countrymen back at home are not so fortunate.
They remain trapped in a vicious social cycle in which greed, corruption, nepotism and abysmal leadership are prominent factors. They are victims of Nigeria's broken system, which, in the space of just a few decades, has created millions of internal refugees and exiled nearly as many skilled professionals who could have contrubuted to our national development in all spheres.
It is no longer a secret that the best of Nigerian doctors have since fled the nation, taking their skills and expertise along with them, and who can blame them? Many of the doctors and nurses in the hospitals of many western nations hailed from Nigeria. A South African friend recently whispered to me that if the Nigerian doctors and nurses at work in the rural areas of that country were to be disenaged, the healthcare delivery system in theat sector would collapse.
These days, people rush to India and other far-flung places for routine and emergency medical attention. And yet we cannot question their patriotism because our leaders and elites have reflected far lesser faith in our system. Like the fast increasing stream of such Nigerians, I was also obeying the first law of nature which is the need for self-preservation when I opted to conduct my medical abroad.

The poor state of our facilities is one thing, but no one wants to die from the wrong diagnosis which is the ultimate cause of many fatalities in our hospitals today. No one wants to suffer in the hands of quackes or half-baked doctors from a broken education system. I was not an exception. Even as I wrote this the inevitable threat of another strike by the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities hung in the air.
The cumulative effects of similar strikes in the past have adversely affected the quality of the products of Nigerian universities. Today, a large colony of Nigerian university students are abroad including in countries like Ghana, which has Rawlings to thank for speedilly arresting their own drift towards the abyss in the 1980s.
In a single desicive day when he wasted his country's corrupt Generals and former rulers, Rawlings made Ghaniains to realize that corruption does not pay. The evidence of the positive outcome of his purge is in the fact that Ghana has reclaimed its self-esteem and continued to eclipse Nigeria in many sectors on the development index. When all seemed lost for Ghana, Rawlings provided the sort of leadership it required to pull it back from the brink. Nigeria has not been so fortunate. One reformist regime after another only succeeded in outclassing the previous with its skill and efficiency at looting the public treasury.

In Dubai, I also saw exactly what visionary leadership and the unity of purpose could achieve with a vengeance. I saw how a sparse and anynomous desert wastelands barely two decades was completely transformed into a global marvel for all the right reasons. The metro rail system initiated a few years ago is now in full operation with work still on-going on several routes.
Its ultra-modern stations now count among the major eye-popping landmarks of Dubai city centres. Among such landmarks is, of course, the awe-inspiring Khalifa which is now the tallest building in the world. I could go on and on but the mere fact of doing so is extremely depressing.
It did not surprise me in the slightest that President Jonathan chose to celebrate our 51st independence anniversary within the confines of the Aso Rock Villa where he apparently felt more secured, no matter what anyone may say to the contrary, apparently in mortal fear of the dreaded Boko Haram sect. No further evidence was required by Nigerians as to the degree of their social and personal insecurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment